Looking to hire an IT professional or specialist? Considering outsourcing your IT department to a managed IT service provider like Midwest?
As IT technology continues to expand its global reach, its systems have become more and more complex over the years. An IT professional or an outsourced partner is a necessary position to ensure your business system functions correctly.
Understand the pros and cons of having an in-house vs an outsourced IT solution for your business. Then, choose the approach that works best for your business.
Hire an In-House IT Professional
Is your business looking to hire an IT specialist in-house? Let’s explore the pros and cons.
- Hired to fit within the existing company culture, mission, and vision
- Trained according to the company’s specific IT needs
- Can potentially fill roles outside of IT if needed
- They can become an inhouse workflow expert on certain software or programs
- They are physically onsite to review issues immediately
- Challenges of hiring a qualified and experienced IT professional and then retaining them in a competitive market
- Added costs of being an employer including taxes, insurance, headhunters, potential liability and more
- Limited expertise to one or a small group of in-house IT professionals
- Poor after-hours availability for IT-related issues
- Turnover is expected and very disruptive to the company
- IT Employee’s expectations or passions may not line up with the company’s needs
- Outsourcing is still needed on certain types of projects
- Typically internal IT employees have a hard time recognizing business needs and can have limited perspective on both technology and current industry standards. Complacency can become a real threat
- A disgruntled/malicious IT person has the ability, access, and potential to wreak havoc with much less recourse and oversight than a company would have with external IT
When a company is looking to outsource or use dedicated outside consultants and IT partners it means it’s leaning on external resources to perform operations and functions. Why would an organization want to hire an IT professional from outside of its company? Outsourcing has been an effective solution for global businesses to increase labor productivity, and reduce investment costs. Outsourcing to a local company can carry competitive advantages for firms looking to stay on top of their technology needs.
- A team of experts with both a depth and breadth of experience
- Dedicated support hours as required are built into the service and staff
- Fixed costs
- Stability and reliability with a larger team
- Scalability up and down as needs organizational needs change
- No turnover or disruptions when employees leave
- Higher levels of experience with all the types of projects the business may perform along with quick team changes for different types of work
- Significantly higher level of expertise with projects and workflows than a internal team could be expected to posses. Useful for companies that don’t have the resources to hire subject matter experts in multiple areas
- A strict focus on the needs of the business without getting sidetracked on personal projects or interests
- A experienced management team focused on delivering quality results derived from business goals. Accountability for all employees
- Dedicated project managers
- Constant exposure and experience with industry standards across a variety of environments can help identify and solve problems quickly. All solutions are paired with a business plan
With the right outsourced team like Midwest, there are considerable advantages to outsourcing. But like hiring any professional service, the quality of your IT partner can lead to challenges such as:
- Communication issues with managing an external team
- Higher-than-expected service provider costs can occur if scopes of work are not clearly defined
- Data security requirements must be understood, outlined and met by all parties
We’ve Worked with Businesses Just Like Yours
Here’s what our customers have to say.
We have been working with Midwest IT since 2010. Switching to their Managed IT Services was the best thing our agency did. We now have a very efficient, stable and secure network with offsite backup. Through the guidance of our account manager we have been able to develop a hardware replacement schedule, implement a disaster recovery plan and implement software, such as a password manager program, signature software and spam filtering, to help our employees become more efficient and effective. The time and money they have put in to their own infrastructure has allowed them to do more for their customers in less time and as a result we can count on receiving very prompt service when we have a situation that warrants submitting a ticket to their extremely knowledgeable support team.
I reached out to Midwest IT for a consultation on updating our entire computer system from PCs to servers to routers. I needed to coordinate installation of fiber, a new phone system and new computer hardware/software with as little down time for our business as possible. Midwest suggested solutions that made sense and would improved our security. I entered into a contract that included day-to-day maintenance and haven’t looked back. Ryan Sanders is our Account Manager and knowledgeable advisor. Midwest’s tech support is very responsive to our employees needs. Midwest IT was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I highly recommend Midwest IT
Midwest IT is a pleasure to work with. The Firm has been with Midwest IT for several years and they have helped keep us current in the ever changing IT world and plan ahead. Their team is knowledgeable, courteous and responsive to any problem that may arise and communicate in a way that is easily understood. Thank you Midwest IT for all you do!
We have been working with Midwest IT for over 5 years. They manage our network and security. We are an insurance agency and store a lot of client personal information and it is very important to have the right security hardware and software in place. Midwest IT has always been on top of any new threats and have kept our database safe from these threats. They are also knowledgeable with our agency management system, Applied Epic and that is a big plus for us, because they can give us suggestions and help troubleshoot when we are having trouble with our servers alongside Applied’ s support. Their ticketing system is very user friendly and their techs are quick to respond. You can count on them to tell you the truth and they are always looking out for their customers best interest.